I believe that the weekend should be a time of restoring and replenishing your bod and mind in a healthy way. For me, it’s not about staying up too late and eating foods that my body will not thank me for later. Take the time this weekend to pamper your body with our tips below.
1. Get your zzz’s! There is some disagreement out there about whether or not you can actually “catch up” on sleep. I know how my weeks go sometimes, there is too much to do and sometimes staying up a bit too late to get some things done happens too often. Whether you can catch up on sleep or not take both nights of the weekend to get a healthy 7-8 hours, and more if you need it. Try to stay on your regular weekday schedule, so it isn’t a huge struggle to get up on Monday morning.
2. Skip the salt. If the weekend temptations of eating out and getting fast food seem to get you, try taking a time out this weekend. Most (not all) restaurant and fast food options are loaded with salt! An excess of sodium in our diet can lead to increased blood pressure. It’s best to stick to less than 2300 mg of sodium each day. That’s tough to track when you are eating out, but that’s why it’s best to concentrate your diet on fruit, veggies, and whole grains. Cook at least two meals at home this weekend. It’s the best way to control the sodium you are getting in your diet.
3. Evaluate alcohol intake. Cutting out alcohol completely, for most, is unnecessary. Winding down on a Friday night with a glass of wine at dinner is something I love. Let’s just be reminded of what we should really be limiting ourselves to when it comes to servings and overall consumption. Men can consume 2 drinks per day and women 1 drink per day. While that may not seem like much of a limit, here’s a reminder of what 1 drink equals:
- 12 oz of beer
- 5 oz of wine
- 1.5 oz of hard liquor.
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but with the way some drinks are poured, you could be getting more than your recommended amount before you know it. Not that we’ve ever had more to drink that we should have…
4. Load up on veggies. Juice them, throw them on a pizza, whip up a stir fry, or eat a straight up salad. However you want to get those servings, do it up. Vegetables are loaded with antioxidants that just can’t be replicated in other foods or supplements. And get a healthy variety. Every color of veggie offers our bod something different. We used all of the random fruit and veggies we had on hand to whip up this colorful juice. Broccoli, carrots, beets, lime, oranges, apples… Those colorful antioxidants traveling through my blood stream is all I can think about…love it!
5. Exercise. Whether heading to the gym is your thing, or an outdoor activity is better suited to your taste, get out and get active. Sometimes our weeks can get so jam packed with activities, that it gets easy to skip a weekday workout. Take your Saturday and Sunday to get two of your weekly workouts in. Also, this early darkness in the winter can really bring me down when it’s already dark when I leave work! Get a little sun shine on your grill this weekend. Pop on some snowshoes, go ice skating, go for a run if your streets are clear…whatever gets you going.
What do you do on the weekends to revitalize and restore your bod for the week ahead?