Carrageenan: A Dangerous, Sneaky, & Commonly Used Food Additive

7 Apr

Carrageenan: A Dangerous, Sneaky, and Commonly Used Food Additive

As I’m walking away to purchase this cream, I flip it over and look at the ingredient list, although it’s heavy cream, so what else would you expect the list to say? Naively, I still obviously have too much trust in our food suppliers. Low and behold, I see the word “CARRAGEENAN”?!?!  I’m already not in the best mood because of this extra excursion to the store, but now I’m seeing that carrageenan is an additive to my heavy whipping cream?!? I was pissed, frustrated, and saddened all at the same time. I go back to the dairy section and turn over every whipping cream carton or bottle. Yup, the dreaded carrageenan is in EVERY SINGLE ONE.  I needed to vent, so what did I do? I sent ranting texts to Laura, my other foodie half, and ended our conversation with “you better believe I’m going to blog about this”. Ha! So here it is friends. This is just a brief overview of carrageenan and merely an introduction to the sneaky food additive that has gotten in under the radar.

What is carrageenan?

-  It is derived from red seaweed and is processed in a way to make it a “food grade” additive.

- For many years the carrageenan trade lobby group has fought to promote this seaweed- based additive as a “safe and natural food additive”.

- It is not used for nutritional value, flavor, or color, but instead used in many products as a thickener, giving food a fattier texture or sensation on your palate. Imitating a thick, rich, full-fat food option. ( Um, no thanks. I’ll take the real deal instead!)

- It is also used as a stabilizer, so it creates a even texture and consistency throughout the entire product. (An example would be a beverage with particles that naturally separate. Instead of having to shake it to reincorporate it, it just stays evenly mixed. Weird right?!)

Carrageenan: A Dangerous, Sneaky, & Commonly Used Food Additive | WholeGreenLove

What foods do you find carrageenan in?

-  Dairy: ice cream, chocolate milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, whipping cream, squeezable yogurts…you know the ones that are marketed as kid friendly

-  Dairy Alternatives: soy milk, hemp milk, almond milk, coconut milk, a good majority of the previously listed alternative products i.e. soy yogurt, pudding, ice cream etc.

-  Meats: Prepared chicken products, and sliced turkey

-  Nutritional Drinks: Ensure™,  SlimFast™, Carnation Breakfast Essentials™, and Orgain™

-  Prepared Foods: microwaveable dinners, canned soups, broths,  frozen pizza, even pet foods

Why should you avoid Carrageenan?

- The way carrageenan is chemically structured triggers an autoimmune response. Autoimmune responses lead to inflammation within the body.

- The inflammation has been noticed more specifically in the gastrointestinal system. Ranging from “belly bloat” ,  to (IBS) irritable bowel syndrome,  to (IBD) Irritable bowel disease.

- Prolonged inflammation within the body is a precursor to more serious health morbidity.

- There are many inflammatory diseases that have been associated with the human body: inflammatory bowel disease, rheumatoid arthritis, arteriosclerosis, as well as cancers.

- There is concern by scientists that the acidity found within the stomach causes “food grade” carrageenan to “degrade”, which would expose your digestive system to a recognized carcinogen.

- “Carrageenan exposure clearly causes inflammation; the amount of carrageenan in food products is sufficient to cause inflammation; and degraded carrageenan and food-grade carrageenan are both harmful.” – Dr. Joanne Tobacman, MD, Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago Click here to read more from Dr. Joanne Tobacman

- “[Dr. Tobacman] explained that all forms of carrageenan are capable of causing inflammation. This is bad news. We know that chronic inflammation is a root cause of many serious diseases including heart disease, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, and cancer. All told, I recommend avoiding regular consumption of foods containing carrageenan.” – Dr. Andrew Weil

- According to Bhattacharyya, Dedeja, and Tobacman’s journal article in 2008, numerous studies have been published identifying carrageenan’s unique chemical structure and how it triggers an immune response in the body, which is similar to the effects of pathogenic bacteria like Salmonella.

Carrageenan: A Dangerous, Sneaky, & Commonly Used Food Additive  | WholeGreenLove

Want to know more?

- A Report by The Cornucopia Institute on carrageenan lays out the facts about this “natural” food additive and why it should be removed from our food supply. It shares a wealth of knowledge based around studies that have been conducted over many years of research.

- See what’s new on  The Cornucopia Institute front by keeping up to date with their newsletter.

What can you do?

- Here is a Shopping Guide that can help you select brands of food that are made without the addition of carrageenan.

- Sign the FDA petition to remove carrageenan from our food supply.

- Know where you are getting your food from and don’t be afraid to ask questions!

Over and over we are seeing conflict of interest from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), not to mention other regulating groups.  Sadly, we have seen that money talks, and the interests of other individuals and group entities have prevailed over the general health of our population and communities as a whole. It is so important that we ask questions, demand change, and recreate a healthy food culture.

“Science at the bidding of the corporations is knowledge reduced to merchandise” – Wendell Berry

P.S. Be sure to sign up for our current giveaway here to win a $50 gift card to The Honest Company! It closes Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 at 12:00pm CST

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for us to support our blogging activities, we may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for our endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.

59 Responses to “Carrageenan: A Dangerous, Sneaky, & Commonly Used Food Additive”

1. Shirl June 9, 2014 at 6:14 pm #

My battle with Carrageenan started 7 years ago when my normal foods that I consumed started to make me very ill. Severe bloating, burping, can’t eliminate for up to 5-10 days when consumed. I went to so many Dr.s thinking something was seriously wrong with me. All they could say is my stomach is abnormally distended, but no answer why after many tests. I started reading my labels & eventually found out about Carrageenan two years later. Odd how just a few tablespoons can make me ill for up to 2 weeks & nothing makes me better.. Yet some people can have it without any symptoms at all..
    It is awful when accidentally consumed. It makes going out to eat or eating at peoples homes impossible, except going for sushi. I so wish this horrible ingredient would be banned. Read your labels because it is a sneaky awful ingredient.

2. LIZ January 25, 2014 at 11:28 am #

thank you for your post. I too get overwhelmed by the massive amount of information that is well needed….I am avoiding dairy and substitute with coconut & soy. Also comments on hypothyroidism interesting & pertinent. AGAIN thank you!

3. joe smith January 22, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401181/Is-Carrageenan-Safe.html

4. Eoghan Ballard January 21, 2014 at 2:45 pm #

Indeed, dairy is a worse risk than carageenan.

5. Danna January 19, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

Thanks for the information and the article. I drink ‘organic’ almond milk and just went to check for carageenan and sure enough, it was there. YUCK! I signed the petition as well.

6. christina December 19, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

Thanks so much for blogging about this! You explained everything wonderfully.

7. Ricky November 7, 2013 at 12:56 am #

I know it’s been months, but a friend just posted a link to your article. I completely disagree with it. And I wouldn’t normally care–as you say, everyone’s entitled to their own opinion–But then, at the end of your article you shamelessly plug a $50 gift card to the Honest Company, which–Oh no–uses carrageenan in their toothpaste (http://blog.honest.com/?s=carrageenan). Perhaps you should have told your winner to watch out for that stuff.

8. Cathy Nicolaides October 16, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Thank you for letting others know to be cautious of consuming carrageenan. I had been having constant bloating, diarrhea and gas even though I WAS NOT consuming dairy which also gives me these symptoms. I could not figure out why? I have been consuming non dairy milks (different ones) and non dairy creamer (Trader Joe’s organic soy) on a daily basis for a long time. I started thinking I must have other food intolerances so I bought a book called the Virgin diet which recommends that people stop eating the 7 most intolerant foods. I stopped eating all of those foods and was still having the symptoms I mentioned above. After some research online, I came across information (not on this site) on carrageenan and the symptoms it can cause which were the same symptoms I was having. Two weeks ago, I stopped using all the non dairy products containing carrageenan and immediately the symptoms all went away. No more diarrhea, bloating or gas. I only buy non dairy products now that do not contain carrageenan and I have NO symptoms with those. High fructose corn syrup is also allowed to be put in foods and it has been linked to Diabetes II, yet that does not stop the food corporations from using it. In my opinion, its only a matter of time before it will be well-known that carrageenan is unhealthy for us and is linked to disease.

9. Alex July 23, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

If you are so worried about inflammation, I would figure you would cut out one of the biggest triggers: DAIRY!! Dairy consumption is one of the leading causes in inflammation, arthritic symptoms, and osteoporosis. Not to mention, HIGHLY PROCESSED!! It is pasteurized and homogenized, which (like this apparent process of Irish moss) takes it far way from its natural state. Not all carageenan is created equal. Irish moss is used widely in raw food recipes and has tons of health benefits, including digestion. Sorry, I never post things like this, but when I see such conflicting opinions I just have to. If you care that much about your health, give up the heavy cream altogether.

• Joanna | WholeGreenLove July 26, 2013 at 8:59 am #

Alex, we agree that conventional dairy products are highly processed and lack most of the health benefits that are found in raw dairy products that are from healthy animals who have been pasture raised. We do care about our health, which is why we choose to eat this way. You can read more about it here: http://www.westonaprice.org/

• Harry Nicholson November 8, 2013 at 10:57 am #

I don’t see why your worrying about dairy products irritating your digestive track. So does naturally spicey food. If your tummy needs it, take a couple of shots of the tried and true old fashion remedy: Pepto Bismol! Problem solved.

10. Wendy Olson June 10, 2013 at 4:06 am #

Thank you for the information. Keep it coming.
    I did want to point out that The Honest Tea company is been bought by a corporation that contributed heavily to preventing the passage in California of the Bill to Label GMOs. May are boycotting the company till they take at different stand reqarding our rights to have GMOs labeled.

check with the lists provided by the ORGANIC CONSUMERS ASSOCIATION
    OR OCA to find complete list of companies organic or not, who do and don’t
    support the labeling of GMOs

Frankly, I believe firmly they should be Out Right BANNED,
    and Soon, before the damage, never to be Undone, is TOO LATE.

11. Tara Woodruff May 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

Excellent article, more folks will learn about this dangerous additive!

12. Lolly April 19, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

Totally agree with Debbie. The amount of ignorant scaremongering that’s on the Internet is both ridiculous and frightening. Carrageen is a natural and SAFE foodstuff that has been consumed for centuries. And no, I don’t have any links to any form of food etc producers/sellers. Just a degree in Biology, and a brain.

• Joanna | WholeGreenLove July 26, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Hi Lolly,

Again, people have different comfort levels with what they choose to put in their bodies. We choose to avoid carrageenan. Real food shouldn’t need this processed “food” in it.

• DEBBIE March 21, 2014 at 7:45 am #

Thank you Lolly. It is difficult for people to believe that I believe in what I post because I do work for a company that sells carrageenan. I’ve been called lots of names for it but as I tell my children, “Let it go, there is nothing to be gained by arguing with someone who is so obviously set on their opinion, and besides, everyone is entitled to whatever opinion they form.” The truth is, I do very much believe that carrageenan is a safe ingredient, if I didn’t I wouldn’t work for the company I work for. I am not a doctor and I am not a “technical” person but I have faith and trust in the people that I have worked with for more than a decade now.

• Curious April 19, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

I don’t get stomach problems with this so-called ‘safe’ product. Carrageenan causes me to break out in painful itching blisters. It took me decades to discover what was causing the problem. My doctor never did figure it out. (And when I told him that I had solved the problem he all but yawned with boredom.)

So, anyone who has unexplained itching and/or blisters should consider eliminating carrageenan to see if that might be the problem.

My cat has now developed a skin problem. And guess what’s in her cat food…

13. Allison April 13, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

Yep, just last night I noticed carrageenan in my toothpaste! I had been so excited to find a fluoride-free one that I didn’t even notice the other harmful ingredients. So sad…

• Susan Puckett Smith January 22, 2014 at 11:24 pm #

You can make your own toothpaste with virgin coconut oil, bentonite clay, and peppermint essential oil. I’ve been using it for awhile and it works fine. I like knowing exactly what’s in it.

14. Jan's Sushi Bar April 12, 2013 at 10:40 am #

You know, what really amuses me to no end about the insistence of government agencies (and those who think real food advocates are a pack of paranoid survivalists) that additives such as carrageenan are “perfectly safe for consumption” is the complete disregard of the word ADDITIVE.

FOOD should not contain additives. Period. Real food does not need its shelf-live extended or its texture improved; it just needs to be cooked and eaten. And even the cooking is optional.

• Joanna | WholeGreenLove April 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

Amen to that! :)

15. Cookie April 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

Those of us allergic to seafood really have to be on the look-out for this atrocious stuff.

16. Oregonwmn April 10, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

I recently purchased Tom’s of Maine Toothpaste thinking it would be natural and not contain unhealthy items. I should’ve looked at the label in the store, but I did not. It also contains carrageenan. I have always assumed we would not find dangerous ingredients in our food supply, but my eyes have been recently opened. Since I have started eating healthy, real food and watching ingredients, I feel much better! Keep up the good work and keep informing all of us.

17. Shannon April 10, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

I have had the same frustrations myself in the past. I too wrote a blog post about this very issue: http://realfoodreport.com/got-cream-from-grocery-shopping-to-petitioning-the-fda-over-food-labels/

I am so glad that there are others out there who have the same passion of food as me and are spreading awareness. Thanks so much for what you do!!

• Joanna | WholeGreenLove April 10, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

Hi Shannon!

Thank you for stopping by. It’s sad we have to be this critical of our food supply.Thank you for your proactive food efforts! I enjoyed your blog post as well! Don’t be a stranger :)

18. Linda Stanhope April 10, 2013 at 11:42 am #

I’m with ya sister! thanks for the info! Just another one that makes shopping harder!!! sheesh!

• Joanna | WholeGreenLove April 10, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

Hi Linda!

I know, it would be so much easier if everyone was committed real food and we didn’t have to eye-up everything so closely! Thanks for visiting!

19. Joanna | WholeGreenLove April 9, 2013 at 10:20 am #

Hi Michelle!

We’ll share the chicken salad recipe soon :) You’ll love it!

20. Michelle April 8, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

Great post! I’d love to hear that chicken salad recipe!! :)

21. Jodi S April 8, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks so much for this post. We have used coconut milk as a dairy alternative for years, with everyone sensitive to dairy here (family of 6). Do you have a recipe for making coconut milk (for more of a beverage drink) using canned Thai coconut milk? Just wondering if anyone makes their own? Fortunately we have a Whole Foods here, so I might have to spend more on already expensive coconut milk.

• Joanna | WholeGreenLove April 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

Hi Jodi,

This blog talks about making your own coconut milk; it would be worth a try! I’ve made my own almond milk ( which was great), and this looks like a very similar process. Let us know if you try it! :)

22. Lisa @ Lisa Living Well April 8, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Thanks so much for writing about this topic! I had never heard of it before and now I am looking at all of my labels. Unfortunately, I found it in my Soy Trader Joe’s creamer this morning and I won’t be buying that again. I suffer from gastrointesntinal problems and I wonder if it has to do with carrageenan.

• Joanna | WholeGreenLove April 8, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

Hi Lisa,

It’s one of those ingredients that can just sneak past you. I hope you start feeling better! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us :)

• Traci April 14, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Lisa, have you tried eliminating soy? It’s a very common allergenic food. I deal with soy sensitivity and felt so much better when I eliminated it. Soy is one of the “big 8″, one of the eight food items even the USRDA recognizes as a problem. There are lot of resources online that can tell you much more than I could here. Just google “soy allergy” or “soy intolerance”.

23. Debbie April 8, 2013 at 7:55 am #

SO MUCH FOR THE MYTHS
    CONSIDER THE FACTS ON CARRAGEENAN FOR A CHANGE

Q. What is Carrageenan??

A. Carrageenan is a naturally-occurring seaweed extract. It is widely used in foods and non-foods to improve texture and stability. Common uses include meat and poultry, dairy products, canned pet food, cosmetics and toothpaste.
    Q. Why the controversy?
    A. Self-appointed consumer watchdogs have produced numerous web pages filled with words condemning carrageenan as an unsafe food additive for human consumption. However, in 70+ years of carrageenan being used in processed foods, not a single substantiated claim of an acute or chronic disease has been reported as arising from carrageenan consumption. On a more science-based footing, food regulatory agencies in the US, the EU, and in the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization (FAO/WHO) repeatedly review and continue to approve carrageenan as a safe food additive.
    Q. What has led up to this misrepresentation of the safety of an important food stabilizer, gelling agent and thickener?
    A. It clearly has to be attributed to the research of Dr. Joanne Tobacman, an Associate Prof at the University of Illinois in Chicago. She and a group of molecular biologists have accused carrageenan of being a potential inflammatory agent as a conclusion from laboratory experiments with cells of the digestive tract. It requires a lot of unproven assumptions to even suggest that consumption of carrageenan in the human diet causes inflammatory diseases of the digestive tract. The objectivity of the Chicago research is also flawed by the fact that Dr Tobacman has tried to have carrageenan declared an unsafe food additive on weak technical arguments that she broadcast widely a decade before the University of Chicago research began.

Q. What brings poligeenan into a discussion of carrageenan?
    A. Poligeenan (“degraded carrageenan” in pre-1988 scientific and regulatory publications) is a possible carcinogen to humans; carrageenan is not. The only relationship between carrageenan and poligeenan is that the former is the starting material to make the latter. Poligeenan is not a component of carrageenan and cannot be produced in the digestive tract from carrageenan-containing foods.
    Q. What are the differences between poligeenan and carrageenan?
    A. The production process for poligeenan requires treating carrageenan with strong acid at high temp (about that of boiling water) for 6 hours or more. These severe processing conditions convert the long chains of carrageenan to much shorter ones: ten to one hundred times shorter. In scientific terms the molecular weight of poligeenan is 10,000 to 20,000; whereas that of carrageenan is 200,000 to 800,000. Concern has been raised about the amount of material in carrageenan with molecular weight less than 50,000. The actual amount (well under 1%) cannot even be detected accurately with current technology. Certainly it presents no threat to human health.
    Q. What is the importance of these molecular weight differences?
    A. Poligeenan contains a fraction of material low enough in molecular weight that it can penetrate the walls of the digestive tract and enter the blood stream. The molecular weight of carrageenan is high enough that this penetration is impossible. Animal feeding studies starting in the 1960s have demonstrated that once the low molecular weight fraction of poligeenan enters the blood stream in large enough amounts, pre-cancerous lesions begin to form. These lesions are not observed in animals fed with a food containing carrageenan.

Q. Does carrageenan get absorbed in the digestive track?
    A. Carrageenan passes through the digestive system intact, much like food fiber. In fact, carrageenan is a combination of soluble and insoluble nutritional fiber, though its use level in foods is so low as not to be a significant source of fiber in the diet.
    Summary
    Carrageenan has been proven completely safe for consumption. Poligeenan is not a component of carrageenan.
    Closing Remarks
    The consumer watchdogs with their blogs and websites would do far more service to consumers by researching their sources and present only what can be substantiated by good science. Unfortunately we are in an era of media frenzy that rewards controversy.
    Additional information available:
    On June 11th, 2008, Dr. Joanne Tobacman petitioned the FDA to revoke the current regulations permitting use of carrageenan as a food additive.
    On June 11th, 2012 the FDA denied her petition, categorically addressing and ultimately dismissing all of her claims; their rebuttal supported by the results of several in-depth, scientific studies.
    If you would like to read the full petition and FDA response, they can be accessed at http://www.regulations.gov/#!searchResults;rpp=25;po=0;s=FDA-2008-P-0347

• WholeGreenLove April 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Hi Debbie,

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion along with varying comfort levels regarding the chemicals and materials they are willing to put in their body. We are merely sharing our opinion and encouraging our readers to be aware of their food choices. It is not surprising that this information you have sited came from a government-funded website/database. Sadly, conflict of interest is highly prevalent in our culture. It will be interesting to see what becomes of this additive. At this point we are happy to see some response from food companies who are reformulating their products to not include carrageenan.

• Tami B July 22, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

I am no scientist and totally overwhelmed by all this information. I can’t determine from all this if it good or bad, but I do know its an optional additive. Given all that….I have hypothyroidism, I no not eat veggies like Kale, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and such because when I do….I feel the effects. I read the Nourished Metabolism and have since taken carrageen out of my diet. My question for you is, does carrageen have the same effects as the listed veggies and is that a valid reason to remove it from my diet? It’s been so easy to remove it, I will not reintroduce it, I am just wondering!

• D'Elle Milton November 9, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

Does anyone actually believe the FDA has anything to do with ensuring safety in food or drugs? To represent that we should accept the FDA’s findings or recommendations is delusional at best.

• Randy February 17, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

As a marketing executive, I have to deal with negative publicity on the internet all the time. Many companies like ours are approached regularly by individuals and companies that help corporations and lobbying groups submit comments that address damaging or potentially damaging blog posts. The most common (and most successful) are individuals, not companies. These are people who pose as concerned and caring readers and are simply sharing their “opinion”. Let me state here that I am not accusing this commenter of being a PBC (Professional Blog Commenter), but I would be an idiot not to be suspicious. Do a Google search on “professional blog commenter” and you will find hundreds of thousands of articles and job allocations here and abroad. Lobbyists and big Corporations employ more than anyone. I would like to believe that this person giving a rebuttal is honest and not profiting.

Of course, I have made a promise that my comment is not “spam”. But what keeps me or anyone from sharing an opinion that seems to be a well researched and fair rebuttal when in actuality it is incomplete?

If you actually visit the link at the end of the comment, there is much more information including the response from Cornucopia.org and Dr. Tobacman. I encourage those reading this comment to fully weight the arguments AFTER reading the responses. Anyone who has done any amount of study, knows that the bulk of scientific studies provided to the FDA when considering whether or not carageenan (among others) should be banned. Lobbyists, industry groups, corporations and PR firms have multi-million dollar budgets that pay scientists and doctors to come up with reasonable and factual studies that refute in whole or part the studies done by scientists like Dr. Tobacman.

While I absolutely support considering both sides of any and every issue. But when those conducting the studies are motivated and actually paid by those who would profit from that study, that study is “poisoned”. I don’t know anyone who trusts the FDA (or any govt. agency) as not being corrupted by the same pork barrel corruption that politicians have been guilty of for decades.

Ironically, general public opinion is that we would throw out ANY study where those conducting the study were profiting. However, when the financing needed by those scientists or study groups comes, even indirectly, from those profiting by the study, that study is suspect. I encourage everyone to read those responses and make a decision based on all the facts.

24. Shreela April 7, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

It’s also in Tyson, Pilgrim Pride, and Kroger brand boneless chicken meat – mostly breasts and thighs that I’ve noticed (Houston area). HEB brand does NOT have it, so of course I travel further to give them my $ for chicken that doesn’t cause me pain & inflammation 20min-2hrs after eating carrageenan-contaminated chicken.

• Joanna | WholeGreenLove April 8, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Hi Shreela,

Thanks for letting us know! Glad to hear you are investing in your health! It makes the extra time and money worth the hassle. Take care!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Carrageenan: A dangerous food additive | Mahogany Revue | The Innovative Connector - May 10, 2014

[…] from: http://wholegreenlove.com) You may be surprised to learn that carrageenan, a controversial food additive that has been linked […]

2. Life hack: 5 minute, No blender, 2 ingredient nut milk | Simply Real Food - February 18, 2014

[…] to grab a carton of almond milk off the shelf at the local grocery store, sneaky additives like carageenan and other weird gums deter the health-conscious […]

3. Carrageenan: The Natural Ingredient You Need To Remove From Your Diet | Collective-Evolution - February 14, 2014

[…] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1242073/ Chris Kesser - http://chriskresser.com/harmful-or-harmless-carrageenan Sharecare - http://www.sharecare.com/health/immune-lymphatic-system-health/whats-an-autoimmune-response MyVMC - http://www.myvmc.com/anatomy/gastrointestinal-system/ Cornucopia - http://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan/ Whole Green Love - http://wholegreenlove.com/2013/04/07/carrageenan-a-dangerous-sneaky-commonly-used-food-additive/ […]

4. Carrageenan: The Natural Ingredient You Need To Remove From Your Diet | Collective-Evolution - February 13, 2014

[…] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1242073/ Chris Kesser - http://chriskresser.com/harmful-or-harmless-carrageenan Sharecare - http://www.sharecare.com/health/immune-lymphatic-system-health/whats-an-autoimmune-response MyVMC - http://www.myvmc.com/anatomy/gastrointestinal-system/ Whole Green Love - http://wholegreenlove.com/2013/04/07/carrageenan-a-dangerous-sneaky-commonly-used-food-additive/ […]

5. I’d rather die than drink diet coke | Steph Said What - February 3, 2014

[…] 9) carrageenan (why, here) […]

6. For Those Who Don’t Know Where to Start « Feasting - January 24, 2014

[…] affect food. It’s really hard to find pure coconut milk without added ingredients (such as carrageenan). Whole Foods sells some expensive coconut almond milks that don’t have added ingredients. […]

7. Carrageenan: A Dangerous, Sneaky, & Commonly Used Food Additive | All Natural Home and Beauty - January 22, 2014

[…] The other day when I was making a chicken salad, I realized (while unloading my groceries) I had forgotten my heavy whipping cream at the store. Yes, it is true; I use heavy cream in my chicken salad. It makes some seriously divine chicken salad, but we’ll save that recipe for another day. So, on my regretful trek back to the grocery store (mind you, I had traveled out of my way to go to the coop up the road) I buzzed over to a grocery store nearly a block from my house to get my one forgotten ingredient. Rrgh! As I am running in to get some heavy whipping cream am thinking that I know that it’s probably not going to be the best cream choice in the world, but at this point, I’m okay with that…I just want to make this chicken salad, so we have lunches for the week. I reach in to grab the best looking cream option, one that I have reached for before when I’ve had slim pick ‘ins in the cream department. Continue reading… (adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle||[]).push({}); […]

8. Carrageenan discussion respost | Ora's Amazing HerbalOra's Amazing Herbal - January 21, 2014

[…] http://wholegreenlove.com/2013/04/07/carrageenan-a-dangerous-sneaky-commonly-used-food-additive/ […]

9. Your One Birth | Foodie Friday: Homemade Almond Milk - January 17, 2014

[…] Lately I’ve been taking notice of how many foods have things like guar gum, xantham gum & carrageenan (Whole Green Love gives a great breakdown of why carrageenan is not so […]

10. 10 Foods NOT to Buy at the Grocery Store - Don't Mess with Mama - December 20, 2013

[…] checked out the ingredient list? Most of the store-bought non-dairy milks have an ingredient called carrageenan – an additive that can cause gastrointestinal inflammation and other health issues. And […]

11. How to Make Hot Chocolate in the Crock Pot | Whole Green Love - December 12, 2013

[…] What a sad ingredients list. Have you read our post about carrageenan? […]

12. Hormel's "Natural Choice" deli turkey with "No Added Nitrates" actually contains nitrates - August 31, 2013

[...] While Applegate’s deli meat may be a better choice, I see that their deli turkey contains carrageenan (note: their deli roast beef does not). [...]

13. Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble | Whole Green Love - May 19, 2013

[...] again. Also, make sure to read your labels! We were spoofed by a local ice cream company and found carrageenan on their ingredient list! We couldn’t believe our [...]

14. Top Five Fearless Links of April | Pioneer Valley Nutritional Therapy - April 29, 2013

[...] 4.  Do you like ice cream?  I know, stupid question.   Unfortunately, most ice cream today, even organic versions contain some sneaky additives.   Guar gum and carrageenan are two in particular  that are used as thickeners and stabilizers.  Girl Meets Nourishment discusses the problem with guar gum and Whole Green Love does the same with carrageenan. [...]

15. Things I Love from April | The Nourished Life - April 29, 2013

[...] Why You Need to Avoid Carrageenan [...]

16. Monthly Blog Love - April - Scratch Mommy - April 29, 2013

[...] Do you drink coconut milk or almond milk (that’s not homemade)? What about using sour cream or cottage cheese? Do you still use a few convenience store-bought foods at home (like broths or canned soups)? Better grab your packages and read your labels. Whole Green Love shares all about Carrageenan: A Dangerous, Sneaky, & Commonly Used Food Additive. [...]

17. Strawberry & Mascarpone Cream Shortbread | Whole Green Love - April 19, 2013

[...] 2 cups pure heavy whipping cream (additive free!) [...]