Sparkly Shiny Shower

3 Jan

It’s a tough job – keeping your shower clean. I mean, we clean our bodies in the shower…so why can’t the shower just keep itself clean? With all of the soaps and shampoos and goodies I use in there? Please.

As nice as real tile in the shower looks, it’s a pain in the booty to keep clean. The tile attracts mold and mildew like I am attracted to shopping at Whole Foods. So, when I take the time to scrub the shower down and work on the grout like crazy, I want it to stay clean as long as absolutely possible.

There are plenty of shower sprays available in the store, most with chemicals that I would like to avoid lingering in the bathroom with me and the hot, steamy air. Also, if you are like me, I dowse the shower with so much shower cleaner to keep that puppy clean, that I go through a bottle so quickly! It’s like I have to include shower cleaner in our monthly budget.

A simple solution here is to make your own cleaner. The best kinds are those that can be created with a few simple ingredients from your own kitchen or supplies you have around the house. The next time you drain a bottle of that store bought shower cleaner, refill it with this:

Mix 1 part vinegar to 1 part water

That’s all. Vinegar is the perfect ingredient because it is a natural disinfectant and deodorizer. It also prevents the buildup of mildew.

Another option would be to mix 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil with 2 cups of water to a spray bottle. Tea tree oil is known for its anti-mold properties, so spray away. Something to keep in mind here is that tea tree oil is in fact, an oil. At some point, you will have to clean this oil from the walls of your shower.

You may also want to try using a squeegee immediately following your shower to get that excess moisture off of the walls of the shower. It can also prevent soap scum from drying on the walls and building up.

I don’t like cleaning any more than I have to and I especially don’t like using harsh chemicals in my home. I’ve been using this vinegar solution for a bit now with some success! Be sure to label any bottles where you’ve whipped up a concoction, so everyone else knows what it contains. And always keep cleaning supplies out of reach of children and pets!

Is there something that has been keeping your shower clean that you can share with us?

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for us to support our blogging activities, we may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for our endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.

9 Responses to “Sparkly Shiny Shower”

1. Adriane January 26, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

A wonderful cleaner (although not homemade) is 20 Mule Team Borax. It is an all natural product with many uses. Especially carpet cleaning! I use it instead of oxiclean. It really does get the stains out of laundry…and carpet. It’s wonderful!

2. Susan January 5, 2011 at 10:23 am #

Thanks! I will add that a bathroom designer told me years ago that Neutragena Rainbath shower gel does not leave a soap film, leaves your bath much less mucky. I’ve used it ever since.

3. Katie January 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

Sounds easy enough… what can I do to cut the smell of vinegar without changing the cleaning properties? I thought about squeezing some Lemon juice in there… would that work? Also, are you worried about the acidity of the vinegar eating away at your caulk? Just a thought.

• Laura January 6, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

Hi Katie! A squeeze of lemon in your shower cleaner or even a few drops of your favorite essential oil will do the trick to hide some of the vinegar smell. Remember that once the vinegar has dried, you won’t smell it anyhow. It’s always nice to enjoy the fresh scent while you’re spraying your shower down though.

Good question about the caulk. After you mentioned this, I took a close look at the caulk in my shower and it seems to be doing just fine after about a month of using the vinegar. Also, when I was doing a little investigating before coming up with this concoction, many sources suggested vinegar to clean a shower. You could test a small area, but you should be fine! Great question!

4. Jennifer January 3, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

I have been using vinegar/water solutions to clean my house for months now and I just love it! I don’t know why I didn’t think of using it in the shower yet. Can’t wait to try! Thanks for the recipe!

5. Jessie Houlihan January 3, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

Thanks for the tip Laura! Nick and I use homemade cleaners for the majority of our cleaning — but the one thing I’ve struggled with is carpet cleaner. I can’t find a good homemade concoction that actually cleans the carpet and gets stains out. And, with a new little puppy we find ourselves cleaning the carpet WAY more then we used to and using chemical laden cleaners to make sure our carpet doesn’t look awful. Any suggestions on homemade recipe cleaners or less-toxic brands that work well?

• Laura January 3, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

Hi Jessie! Thanks for the comment! I don’t know of any carpet cleaning recipes off hand, but I will do a little research and get back to you:)

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. 42 DIY Recipes To Keep Your Home Naturally Clean! - February 1, 2014

[…] Natural Shower Cleaner – Whole Green Love […]

2. Fetus Friendly Cleaning | Whole Green Love - May 28, 2011

[...] you’ve probably heard us mention some of these products before (here, here, here, here, and here – wow we like these products!), it never hurts to be reminded of [...]